Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My First Showcase

Dear Blog,

This week, I decided to do a little experiment and I bought a spot on the Fall Fashion Showcase.

Overall the experience was great, so here is the recap:

- My shop got over 1000 views when my average is around 300 in a good day.
- People were giving me hearts right and left
- I made 4 sales
- I got contacted about my items and some of those contacts will be sales before the end of week.
- Very good money maker

I consider $15.00 put to a very good use, it allows to get out there.

Now, I was very reluctant to do it, I though that it will not work because I had been in the forum reading about how bad showcases were and people moaning and wailing about this. So last night, I started to try to analyze why it was such a good thing for me and so bad for others. So here is my word of wisdom:

- The pictures of your items in the showcase have to be good otherwise people will not be clicking there. I had been around and some people have pictures that you do not even know what the item is.

- The items that you are showcasing should be between $20 and $30. I do not think if you put a very expensive or very cheap item, people will feel invited.

- Once they get to your shop , you need to have a neat shop meaning: profile, nice announcement, shop policies, variety of products and price points. Basically all the things that you know about pimping the store.

- Choose the right showcase to buy. Here you will need to do some legwork about where your items may be look at.

- Choose the day of the week wisely, I based my decision according to the traffic on my shop and my own shopping habits. So Tuesdays seem a good day for me.

This is so far what a kind of know now. I'm getting another spot next Tuesday.

Stay tuned!!!

Patricia

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well congrats! I did a showcase early in my Etsy days and, like you've heard from others, it wasn't successful for me either. However, my pictures were bad and I've learned a little more since then...maybe I should try again! Your post gives me hope!! :)

The Cocooners said...

Thanx for the tips. I actually did a showcase yesterday and I did get more traffic but no sales. I'm still working on getting better photos and adding more of my pieces. Hopefully, the next time around I will be better prepared..

Unknown said...

WOW your picture ARE awesome and thanks for sharing your experience!
sandi